YOSEMITE GEOLOGY ONLINE LESSON
(PLEASE DO NOT WRITE ON THIS SHEET. RECORD YOUR ANSWERS ON A SEPARATE SHEET OF PAPER TO TURN IN)
Log onto the following site: http://www.nps.gov/yose/education/
Click on Yosemite at a Glance
1. What is the highest peak at YNP? How high is it?
- What is an example of a threatened fauna at YNP?
- What is an example of an endangered flora at YNP?
Click on Geology
- What is subduction?
- What two types of plates created the Sierra Nevada Range?
- What type of rock formed 5 million years later?
- What caused happened to the plate boundaries, about 60 million years ago?
- What caused the formation of the V-shaped canyons?
- About 1.2 million years ago, the worlds climate cooled and these structures carved out Yosemites U-shaped valley. What structure did this?
Click on Granitic Rocks on the left hand side:
- Over 95% of the Rock in Yosemite is _____________________.
- What does this rock look like?
- This type of rock contains four minerals what are they (just list them for now).
Click on Sierra Nevada Uplift on the left hand side:
- What is sedimentary rock?
- What changed sedimentary rock into metamorphic rock?
- Over time, what stripped metamorphic rock and created some of the features of YNP?
- List three of the features that were formed by these events.
Click on Valley Formation on the left hand side.
- What caused the land east of the Sierra Nevada to stretch?
- List the three steps of valley formation located in the diagram.
- Uplift causes the Sierra Nevada to move how far in how many years?
- What is a glacier and how long ago did it occupy the Yosemite Valley?
- What is a U-shaped trough?
- Were Yosemite features such as Lost Arrow or Sentinal Rock affected by glaciers? How were they formed?
- What was the last period of glaciation in Yosemite Valley. How long did it last?
- What is terminal moraine?
- What created Lake Yosemite?
- What two features of Yosemite are separated by moraine?
Click on Waterfalls on the top tab.
- How long is the Bridalveil Falls watershed? Where is its source?
- How often does Bridalveil Falls flow?
Click on Dramatic Changes on the left side tab.
- How does the Yosemite Falls ice cone form?
- How high does the cone go?
Click on How high is high?
1. Which fall is highest in Yosemite Valley? Which is lowest?